Tuesday, September 6, 2022

21 weeks in

 I'm 21 weeks pregnant now, and you can finally kind of tell. Like, my belly is too big to just be overweight, but it's still not that perfect D shape. The jelly bean is fully formed now, not just a little tadpole with flippers and a beating heart. It looks like a whole baby in there on the ultrasounds. It's kinda mind-blowing. 

We could know what the gender is by now, but we've decided to have that be a surprise. We'll find out when the jellybean gets here. Oh! And news! I got the scicomm position that my supervisor left! I started on August first and I love the work. It's great. It's fun. It's awesomeness. 

I run a scicomm website called The Link, and well, I don't feel like going into a bunch of detail about it right now, but suffice it to say that it's a great platform for connecting science communication research to practice. 

The morning sickness (actually, the all-day sickness) lasted for about ten weeks. It was bad. I was barely functional, everything I smelled made me gag and want to puke or pass out (although I only puked once), and it led to me having to postpone my masters capstone project into the fall. So rather than graduating in the summer, I will hopefully be graduating in December of this year. 

It's so weird to see my body changing. I've got stretch marks all over my breasts and the top of my belly (was it really worth it for the bigger boobs? I'm questioning it...) and I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I weigh 224 lbs now...but I'm tall, so it doesn't look horrible. It's just...weird. I can't bend over easily anymore and rolling over in bed or standing up from a chair is uncomfortable to the point of pain. (Apparently that's normal and it's called round ligament pains). 

My skin gets super dry and itchy...but at least I can eat most things again now. The nausea is gone, and I found a new prenatal that doesn't make me feel ill...it's called Ritual. It even has a pleasant citrus flavor to it (and it's a vegan capsule!). The only problem is that my organs are beginning to be squished, so I get full really quickly and overfull very easily (my brain still hasn't adapted to the fact that I can't eat as much at one sitting as I normally could) and then I'm uncomfortable for several hours. 

Adjustments. 

Today I tried on one of my workout jackets and to my utter surprise, I couldn't even close the two sides of it to zip it up! I took a video, because that's definitely a milestone, haha. Oh...and yesterday I felt the jellybean kick me...for sure. I've been uncertain the other times I've felt things because I have an anterior placenta, which means the placenta is at the front of my belly and cushions any movement I would feel. But this time, I saw my belly MOVE, and I was resting my iPad on top of it and my iPad jumped, too!

Pretty darn cool. 

It's weird to think that there's a little person in there. Someone who has a personality and will one day be a functioning member of society. They're literally inside my body right now. Doesn't make sense. 

Still cool. 

Anyway, I'm gonna go and do stuff that I have to do for scicomm stuff (don't feel like it because I'm tired, but I already got a one week extension, so I need to make the best of it...yeah today happens to be the deadline of that one week extension, ugh, I know). 

Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment